22 Mar Butternut Squash Dal
Posted at 09:26h in Uncategorised
Want a one-pot, potentially vegan, nutritious, inexpensive and quick meal?
Butternut Squash Dahl fits the bill!
Butternut Squash is one of the winter squashes. It has a sweet, nutty taste, that is similar, but better than pumpkin. I prefer to cook with it rather than other squashes as it can be easily peeled with a potato peeler.
Here’s what you need:
Here’s what you do:
Butternut Squash Dal
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1½ cups broth or stock
- 1 TLDSB olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tldsb minced ginger
- 2 Tldsb curry paste or powder
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- Pinch of chipotle or cayenne pepper
- 3 cups diced butternut squash
- 1½ cups milk (regular, or dairy-free)
- Dash of allspice
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup fresh parsley or cilantro (garnish)
- Sort and rinse the lentils. Soak them in the broth.
- Sauté onions in oil for 3 minutes
- Add garlic, ginger, curry, salt, pepper, allspice and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add lentils, broth, squash and milk. Bring to a boil, then simmer.
- While simmering add raisins. (I’ve also tried mashing a banana in. Goes great with curry).
- When squash and lentils are soft, mash lightly. Garnish with cilantro/parsley.